AUGUST 9TH, 2008 BOARD MEETING
President: Carol Hassebrock
Vice President: Deanne Wright
Treasurer: Arlyn Plageman
Secretary/Recording: Cathy Tepel
Resale Certificate: Janet Russell
Maintenance: Wayne Holverstat
CORRESPONDENCE: A letter from the Sowers requesting the tree in front of their unit be trimmed. Matter referred to Deanne.
MINUTES: Accepted as presented
FINANCIAL REPORT: Discussed by Arlyn and accepted as presented.
1) BUILDING MAINTENANCE:
Wayne stated that he would not be able to complete the boards on building 1. It was decided to hire a carpenter to complete the work under Wayne’s supervision.
Wayne also presented problems with the roof and clubhouse south wall. It was decided that the roof was more important. There were two bids presented: Rain Dance for $10,109.30 and Nolan for $8,006.00. Deane Motioned and Arlyn seconded the decision to award the bid to Nolan. All in favor.
It was decided to wait for the wall until the roof was done so we can make sure there is no further damage. A proposal from JL was presented for $6,773.92. Deanne motioned and Janet seconded that Carol and Wayne will get another bid. They would then award the job to the lowest bid. The wall work is to commence when the roof is completed. All in favor.
Wayne brought us up to date on the condition of the landing in Bldg 2. One bid from JL for $1,300.90/stairwell was presented. Wayne explained that Roc has drilled holes under the landings to allow for examination of any damage. The dilled holes will allow air to circulate under the landings. Wayne stated that the stairwell to unit 213 was in bad shape, with the floor sinking a bit when walked on. A temporary fix is to be done. Motioned by Arlyn, Seconded by Janet and all in favor.
Carol gave us an update on the correspondence between the board and Halldorson Construction. Halldorson Construction is claiming that the cutting of vinyl was not his fault and therefore is not responsible. It was brought to the board attention that there are two different residents who saw the vinyl being cut at the time the siding was replaced and at the time mentioned to the contractor that it was being done incorrectly. A motion was made by Deanne, seconded by Wayne that we continue working with Halldorson Construction for compensation for the damages. All in favor.
A plan of action for the procedure is to talk to Mark Sowers, investigate Statute of limitations, and send a letter to Mike including statements from our witnesses.
Deanna will ask the gardeners to trim the tree in front of Sowers’ unit.
3) LEGAL UPDATE ON RESORT PARK:
A discussion was held concerning the legal cost and apparent lack of process regarding the Association’s claim against the Birch Bay Resort Park for damages caused by storm water drainage. A decision was made to terminate the Association’s relationship with the firm of Hugh Lewis. Motioned by Deanne, Seconded by Wayne. All in favor.
4) ELEVATION CERTIFICATES FOR NEW FEMA FLOOD MAP:
Carol informed the board of the new flood maps set by FEMA. We can not use the old elevation certificates. The board will put elevation work out for bid. Since the information has to be done quickly further discussion will be made by e-mail.
5) INSURANCE FOR 2008-2009:
Our insurance expires at the end of August. Before the insurance company can put it out to bid for the upcoming year, the elevation certificates needed to be completed. If they can not be done in time, it was suggested that we go ahead with the the regular insurance and follow up with the flood when the certificates are completed.
6) SALES: Janet stated there were none.
7) MEMBERSHIP IN WASHINGTON STATE CONDO ASSOCIATION:
Carol stated that we have not joined yet as she is still investigating the benefits. She will let us know in the future.
8) CCR’s. Tabled
1) RENTAL CONCERNS:
The need for tighter regulations of rental units was discussed. A committee of Cathy and Deanne will bring recommendations to the September Board Meeting.
Cathy and Deanne are to do a census to ascertain who owns and rents at the resort to allow the board to do a more efficient job. Motioned by Wayne, seconded by Arlyn, Affirmed by all.
2) OTHER BUSINESS:
Arlyn is going to look into the metering of the water on the units to bring uniformity to all units.
Secretary, Cathy Tepel